Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reflection on Today's Oral Presentation

Firstly, I must really commend on the tremendous effort by the entire team of KKGS. It was really interesting working with each and everyone and I personally enjoyed the occasional debating over certain issues in the development of this proposal. I also particularly like the fact that everyone is willing to sacrifice for the team in a bid to produce a reasonably good piece of work.

For me, I am also quietly pleased with my presentation this time round as compared to the previous one. I took quite a while memorizing my part for the presentation and was glad that I could remember most of the points that I hope to bring across to NUSEU. I have also managed to overcome a personal challenge of presenting without much reference. I also feel that there is more fluency in my presentation this time given that we have put in quite an amount of planning for the flow of the presentation and the overall structure.

Our group, Team KKGS, wanted to surprise the audience with a “BANG” at the beginning and we eventually found it in the form of “The story of the eagle”. It was tough at the beginning during the first few rehearsals when I could not really bring myself to narrate the story with pure conviction and sincerity. We were even afraid that the audience will find the story boring and will not be convinced. Thus, I was extremely delighted when I saw a couple of interested and excited faces when I narrated this story at the beginning of the presentation.

One unfortunate technical issue was with the video, which malfunctioned a bit during the presentation. This was despite the fact that it was working well in every rehearsal that our team had. Though at full blast, the volume of the video was also not loud enough for everyone to listen comfortably. This was something that we had anticipated and thus Serene took the pain to summarize key points from each interview immediately after the videos.

All in all, as the “Chairperson”, I must thank everyone in Team KKGS again for all the good effort put in.

Arigatou gozaimasu.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny,

    I think that you did very well today. I love the story part and it was well incorporated in the presentation. Besides that, I am really impressed as you could memorise so many things so well and you have good body language too.

    However, you were a little nervous in the beginning. haha

    Xian Rui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenny,

    I think you had a good use of wordplay in your presentation, to emphasize your point. This was especially so
    - when you connected the eagle story to the word "change",
    - when you introduced our team, and introduced yourself,
    - when you ended off your part to serene

    This made the presentation seem convincing and professional. I think one thing you could work on is sometimes you may speak a bit too slow (perhaps due to the nerves). It would be alright to add emphasis with the slow speed at certain points of the presentation. But not everything should be slow.

    Good job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenny,

    I have to say you need not have worried about the 'story of the eagle' not being convincing. It was a very impressive start to the presentation and instantly made us all want to listen to you.

    As for the video part, I felt you could have transcribed the conversation maybe like what Jiv's group did as that may have made it easier to follow what was being said. However, Serene did reiterate the points to make up for it so overall, it was not a very major problem.

    Your voice projection was good and so was your articulation. You seemed nervous in the beginning but eased into the role quite fast.

    However,I did feel that at some points you seemed to be recollecting your ideas taking away the effectiveness of your presentation at those moments. But I do understand this could be because of the technicality of your topic as well as the fact you were speaking without any references. A very commendable effort indeed. Good luck with all future presentations.

    Divs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi kenny,

    i thought the idea of having the eagle story to bring about the point that having a change is necessary in order to become better and stronger was very good. i think it first grabs the attention and creates interest in the audience. Also, with regards to your narration of the story, i thought you did well, especially when you came to the main point "CHANGE", the verbal language you displayed did bring out the conviction and emphasis you aimed to bring out.

    i agree with divya that you seemed a little nervous at the very beginning but you really gained composure as you proceeded.

    overall, i think your group's presentation showed alot of dedicated effort and work. Well done!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all,

    Thank you for all the kind comments.

    I think you guys were right about me being a bit nervous in front especially with "the eagle waiting eagerly to come out from my mouth" at the beginning of Team KKGS's presentation. (pardon the pun)

    I am so glad that you guys appreciated and were convinced by the story of the eagle. To let the cat out of the bag, I must admit this story is probably just a myth and personally as a science and engineering student, I have found a few parts of the story to be scientifically unsound.

    Anyway, I do think that the entire purpose of this story is to attract more attention to our presentation with an unique opening.

    I am glad we have succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kenny,
    sorry for the late comment.

    First, like the others, i enjoyed and believed that the story was an actual fact. You did convinced me on this part.

    As for the technical part, i felt that your group was very calm in dealing with the issue, so no worries on that part.

    anyway good luck for the final exams=)

    Shi Ting

    ReplyDelete